Who am I?

I am a writing and publishing guru. What I dont know about the market just isn't worth knowing. So what if I'm unpublished? I choose to give other writers the gift of my wisdom and experience* that the other 500,000 writing blogs out there fail to give.
* No actual experience

Friday, April 29, 2011

The antidote is inspiration



After having been chained to the monitor for hours to complete work related stuff, writing some more was as enticing as a dental procedure combined with a waxing.  Even if it’s fun stuff like fiction or my don’t-go-there non fiction piece.

The procrastination switch gets hit, and it's lights out for inspiration.

But when I dragged myself back to the lap-top, instead of hitting the WIP, I trawled around writing sites, just to see what was going on. I can kill a few hours dead that way.

Then I happened on something that rang bells. A smile spread across my face as I drank the words in. It was THE best written piece on POV I have ever read. It made a wonderful point by showing, rather than telling. It resonated with me, because while my strength is with voice (or so I’ve been told), I absolutely suck at description. I’m not a visual thinker. I’m quite unobservant, and tend to omit descriptions of place/ setting from my pieces, which means that my writing suffers from this. But the info on this blog was just what I needed: descriptions coloured through a point of view. Obvious to some, I guess. I always felt that descriptions of place were something that you’d read in a third person omniscient piece, but of course that’s not the case!

Read this piece, it’s fantastic- had to share 

It has inspired me, and I have been re-charged since having read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment